Veterinary Technician Assistant
Ready to join our team?Apply Now
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Preferred: High School graduate or equivalent
- Required: Minimum 1 year related experience in a veterinary hospital’
We are looking for a Veterinary Assistant to join our ER/UC department. Come work at a hospital that is focused on patient care, communication, and education! EVS is a privately owned specialty and emergency hospital with Cardiology, Internal Medicine, Exotics, Surgery, and Radiology. An ideal candidate will have a focus on gold-standard medicine and patient care, the technical skills to facilitate them, experience working with animals, and the desire to learn and grow within their practice.The responsibilities of the veterinary assistants are to help the technicians, doctors and receptionists in all duties of the hospital. The responsibilities vary with the current needs of the hospital staff and individual abilities demonstrated by the veterinary assistant. Responsibilities include maintaining a stocked and clean ICU and hospital, assistance with examinations, administration of medications, performing/running basic blood works and diagnostics and most importantly providing nursing and comfort care for our in-patients.
Veterinary technician assistants must build positive, professional relationships with clients and staff members. Full time veterinary assistants should have completed their high school diplomas and must pursue significant on-the-job training.
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Checks patient medical records for past histories, enters in computer and files.
- Takes medical histories and vital signs of patients.
- Restraining and assisting the doctor during exams, treatments, and procedures.
- Assists CVT/LVT with technician’s appointments and tasks.
- Basic animal husbandry
- Obtain urine or fecal samples from patients.
- Prepare samples for laboratory processing.
- Performs departmental housekeeping duties and maintains cleanliness and readiness of ER/ICU/UC departments throughout the shift with tasks including but not limited to sweeping, sanitizing, stocking, preparing kennels, laundry, etc.
- Maintains excellent inpatient care by administering regular potty walks, feedings, and kennel cleaning
- Admits and discharges patients.
- Monitoring hospital patients and logging vital signs.
- Administering medications to patients as needed.
- Placing catheters and performing blood draws.
- Wrapping and preparing surgery packs.
- Other duties as assigned.
GENERAL JOB REQUIREMENTS:
- Comfort and interest working with animals of all types, including exotic species such as snakes, lizards, rabbits, guinea pigs, birds, ferrets, and turtles.
- Commitment to doing the best job possible at all times and under all circumstances
- Confidence in working independently and making appropriate, informed decisions
- Prioritization of safety and care in the operation of all equipment and handling of all patients
- Adaptability to new environments, situations, practices, and challenges
- Excellent communication to clients, teammates, supervisors, subordinates, and any other hospital staff.
- Enthusiasm for knowledge, innovation, learning, and growth in all aspects on the job
- Dedication to the EVS company values of gold standard medicine, respect, integrity, and a team oriented approach
- Matching 401(k)
- Medical/Dental/Vision/Life Insurance
- Employee Pet Insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Tuition/CE reimbursement
- Uniform reimbursement
SCHEDULING: A regular, Full time employee of Evolution Veterinary Specialists, Inc, will be expected to work an average/minimum 36 hours/week. Hours typically vary and include holidays, weekends, swing shifts, overnights, and on-call as necessary to fill the needs of the hospital. A typical starting schedule (subject to change) would be 4 x 10 hour shifts weekly with 4 on-call shifts per month.
Employment Status: Full-Time
Supervisory Role: No