Oncology Veterinary Technician
Ready to join our team?Apply Now
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Required: High School diploma or equivalent
- Required: 3+ years experience as a Certified Veterinary Technician
- Required: 1+ years of veterinary oncology experience
- Strong interest in oncology and keen ability to apply knowledge and advance quickly.
We are looking for a Certified Veterinary Technician for our Oncology Department. Come work at a hospital that is focused on patient care, communication, and education! EVS is a privately owned specialty and emergency hospital with a large Cardiology caseload, Internal Medicine, Surgery, and Radiology. The oncology specialty veterinary technician (CVT) has pertinent responsibilities and plays multiple roles within the hospital within our specialty services. They will also join and be able to help build our brand new Oncology department. The Oncology CVT will apply their professional skills in anesthesia, emergency, laboratory testing, patient nursing, and client education. They will also have extensive experience from their 3+ years working in the field of veterinary specialities- preferably oncology, however emergency, surgery, or another specialty will be considered. Finally, they will need to have a certification in the state of Colorado. VTS is not required but encouraged, with opportunities to obtain certification if there is interest.
The Oncology CVT will be routinely entrusted with patient assessments/triage, anesthesia, procedures, drug doses, and treatments. They will be responsible for oncology in- patient care, patient follow-up, maintenance of oncology patient records, and assist with booking appointments. Additionally, they will be expected to maintain regular client follow up, technician appointments, and maintain timely patient reminders (automated emails and postcards), and answer owner and referring veterinarian oncology related questions. The oncology CVT must be a detail-oriented person who has effective decision making skills, responds quickly and calmly to crises, and maintains high standards of patient care. They will also need to communicate clearly with doctors, other hospital personnel, and clients to ensure patients receive the care they need.
Finally, the oncology CVT should enjoy working with diverse people and animals and be friendly, flexible, and consistent in the face of varying expectations from clients and co-workers They must share a firm belief in the quality of care we provide and communicate this sense of assurance to clients. It is important to know and understand our services and recommendations and be able to clearly convey the value of our services to the clients. Excellent client communication skills and a commitment to outstanding client service are essential. The oncology CVT reports to the Specialty CVT supervisor. Hours may vary and on call for emergency procedures may be required.
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Facilitate the doctors’ daily schedule.
- Prepare exam room for each visit, including tools needed for each exam.
- Understands the safety protocols that are followed for safe administration of chemotherapy.
- Sets up chemotherapy procedures.
- Performs chemotherapy administration.
- Uses proper safety techniques and positioning for radiological procedures.
- Retrieve patient charts from client services in order of appointment time or doctor request.
- Greet clients, obtain patient’s current body weight, reason for visit and brief history.
- Obtain other vitals and lab work as needed.
- Perform and assist with all aspects of animal restraint for exams and procedures.
- Perform all types of restraint, venipuncture for all types of blood work. Administer SQ fluids, medications, etc. per doctors’ orders.
- Go into the surgery on-call rotation following extensive training.
- Complete estimates, basic record keeping, and update patient charges
- Other duties as needed
GENERAL JOB REQUIREMENTS:
- Commitment to doing the best job possible at all times and under all circumstances
- Confidence in working independently and making appropriate, informed decisions
- Prioritization of safety and care in the operation of all equipment and handling of all patients
- Adaptability to new environments, situations, practices, and challenges
- Excellent communication to clients, teammates, supervisors, subordinates, and any other hospital staff.
- Enthusiasm for knowledge, innovation, learning, and growth in all aspects on the job
- Dedication to the EVS company values of gold standard medicine, respect, integrity, and a team oriented approach.
- Matching 401(k)
- Medical/Dental/Vision Insurance
- Employee Pet Insurance
SCHEDULING: A regular, Full time employee of Evolution Veterinary Specialists, Inc, will be expected to work an average/minimum 36 hours/week. Hours typically vary and include holidays, weekends, swing shifts, overnights, and on-call as necessary to fill the needs of the hospital. A typical starting schedule (subject to change) would be 4 x 10 hour shifts weekly with 4 on-call shifts per month. Schedules will be based on the needs of the Oncology Department.
Employment Status: Full-time
Supervisory Role: No