Bronx is a 4-month-old puppy that came into our ER yesterday for possibly swallowing a toy. Bronx lives with little children and was licking his lips and swallowing with effort, so his owner was concerned that he had swallowed one of their toys while he was not looking. After further examination and x-rays, it appeared that Bronx did not swallow a foreign material (but lots of treats were visible), so our ER doctor sent him home for close monitoring.

A potential cause for Bronx’s licking and swallowing could be that he is teething, which is also a primary reason why many puppies ingest foreign material at this age. Our ER doctor recommends freezing apple slices or baby carrots to help with teething pain since it is safe to consume and will lessen the likelihood of the puppy ingesting foreign objects.